Sunday, November 24, 2013

HomeMade yogurt

I have been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately and my latest creation was Homemade yogurt in the crockpot..... Yes in the crockpot.....It was the best.... so good, smooth, just perfect.... no additive, only things that I can pronounce.....I have posted this recipes on my facebook page....

And I will repost it on here.... I am hoping to make my very first youtube video next week of a tutorial on the homade yogurt.... So .... More to follow!!!


Easy 1-2-3 Yogurt

 

First off…. I am no expert… I am a newbie at this. I have altered my recipe to make a more custard type yogurt

I followed this sites instruction with a little tweaking from another recipes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrX-dAPd5vY

·        4 cups of milk (any type will work, I used whole milk for a more creamier taste and texture)

·        ½ cup of sugar (I only used ¼ ) “Optional”

·        1 tsp of gelatin (or 1 packet) “Optional” but recommended

·        ½ cup of dry milk (any kind) for more protein

·        1 tsp vanilla (Or to taste) “Optional”

·        ½ cup plain yogurt****very important that it says live or active culture… I also made sure that it had very little ingredients….

3 Easy Steps


1.  Mix milk, sugar, gelatin, and powder milk.  Add to slow cooker, turn on low. Set timer for 2.5 hrs…. And……..Walk Away


2. Turn off cooker, unplug it. Set timer for 3 hrs or until it reach 110 degrees….. And…Walk Away


3. Take 2 cups of milk out of the slow cooker, add your yogurt and vanilla, mix well. Add it back to slow cooker and mix it well with a whisk.  Wrap your slow cooker in a nice thick flannel blanket or comforter…. (Yep… you read right… to maintain tempt) Set the timer for 8 hrs or overnight… And you guessed it….Walk Away…


4. In the morning.... or after your 8 hrs....Then place in the fridge and let cool…. It will thicken some more

Spoon into sterilized containers, like a Masson jars or a glass bowl, which was sterilized with boiling water.

Once you've made your first batch of yogurt you don't need to buy store brand to make more, just remove 1/2 cup and store for the next batch! *FREEZING DOES NOT KILL THE CULTURES*

Also, it is normal that you have a little bit of clear liquid on the surface… it is called “Wey”

For plain Yogurt, do not use sugar and vanilla, I used gelatin with great results, it made a greek type yogurt


No comments:

Post a Comment